Root Canal Treatment
Getting root canal treatment or endodontic treatment frightens most of us. However, this procedure, when conducted on time, saves you from a future of pain and suffering. The root canal is named after the natural cavity in the center of the tooth, where the nerve essentially lies. Root canal, though thought to be painful, is actually essential to reliving tooth pain caused by infection or injury.
What is the purpose of root canal treatment?
When the nerve tissue of pulp of the tooth is damaged, it breaks down, which leads to bacteria buildup that can cause an infection which decays the tooth as it spreads. During root canal treatment, the nerve of the tooth is removed, and the canal is cleaned of debris, which only removes the sensation of hot and cold, without affecting the function of the tooth. This relieves pain and saves the tooth from decay, preventing the need for extraction.
What is the process of root canal treatment?
- There are 7 root canal treatment steps, taking anywhere between 1-3 sessions to complete.
- The dentist first administers local anesthesia to the tooth that will be treated, to prevent any root canal pain.
- An opening through the crown of the tooth is drilled, to access the root canal.
- Any infected pulp or debris is cleaned, and the nerve is removed.
- The root canal is then sterilized using disinfectants.
- The area is then shaped and cleaned, after which the filling is inserted and sealed.
- The dentist then inserts a cover that acts as a temporary seal, until a crown or cap is placed.
- A crown or cap is then attached to the tooth, giving it support and sealing it permanently, which is the end of the root canal procedure.
What are the benefits of root canal treatment?
There are numerous benefits of getting root canal treatment, being the go-to procedure for many dentists.
- Relieves pain from tooth sensitivity to temperature and pressure.
- Prevents bacteria from deep cavities or cracked tooth from entering the pulp and causing an infection.
- Saves the tooth from being extracted.
What are the risks of root canal treatment?
Like all procedures, the root canal comes with its share of pros and cons as well, which patients should be aware of.
- The root canal must be filled completely, without any gaps left behind, or the infection could return.
- The dentist may not find all the root canals, which leaves room for the infection to spread.
- The patient may find the area painful for a few days, which can be controlled with medication.
What is the cost of root canal treatment?
The cost of a root canal may vary depending on the severity of your condition and the tooth that must be treated. The procedure is much more cost efficient than tooth extractions or implants. Consult our healthcare team for an estimate on your treatment plan and root canal treatment cost.
How to prevent root canal treatment?
You can actively take certain steps to minimize the risk of tooth decay, gum disease or infections.
- Brush your teeth at least twice a day and floss at least once a day
- Regularly visit the dentist for a checkup
- Replace your toothbrush regularly
- Avoid excessive sugar in your diet
Why choose Surana Dental Care?
At Surana Dental Care, our specialists have years of experience in conducting procedures such as root canals, with maximum efficiency and finesse, allowing for safe and successful treatment for each patient. Our renowned dental clinic is equipped with top-notch equipment and technology that enable accurate and precise procedures with each step. We are committed to providing optimum oral healthcare for each patient that walks through our doors.